The plan sounds, sound... but I would worry about putting a yum update
for this anywhere near a cronjob.  There have been enough as far as
issues I've seen when dealing with normal system updating via automated
yum, let alone mail.  If nothing else, I would think it a good idea not
to make that default.

Justice