From: Erik A. Espinoza [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sun 8/31/2008 4:26 PM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: Re: [qmailtoaster] High Server Load

Hey Kyle,

Last we spoke this issue seems to be caused by too much mail coming in
at once and causing the spamassassin to run very slow.

There are a few things you could do.
1) Edit /var/qmail/supervise/spamd/run. After #!/bin/sh but before
exec, add in these two lines:
LANG=C
export LANG

This should make perl run a hell of a lot faster, as it will skip some
of the internationalization stuff.

2) You can lower the amount of concurrencyincoming so as to keep less
mail from being accepted at once. This should help spamd, and since
other mail servers will retry it should cause no mail to be lost

3) You can get a few extra boxes and run spamassasin's spamd on it,
and reconfigure spamc to use the other destiation hosts. This will
require rebuilding the simscan package with "--enable-spamc-args"
enabled for remote scanning.

As far as making sure spam gets moved into the right folder, that's
not easy to apply across the board. The only real way to do it would
be to write a script that pulls the folder and ensures that the
mailfilter is set in everyones home directory. Then just cron this to
run every so often.

Thanks,
Erik

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Kyle Quillen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am once again seeing high server loads which are resulting in dups being
> sent to end users.  I am looking for a little direction here.
>

> What I am wanting to do is setup a scanning server that serves as my primary
> mx and then forward the mail to the toaster server. The only questions are:
>
> 1. What does the list feel that I should use for the scanner server
> 2. How can I setup the toaster server to accept all mail tagged as
> ***Spam*** and put it into the spam folder?
>
> Also how would I just stop scanning and just process mail to help aleviate
> server load?
>
> If anyone else has any other suggestions I am all ears?
>

> Much thanks

<<winmail.dat>>