Nice (Pink Floyd). You might want to leave the toaster string (Welcome to Qmail Toaster Ver. 1.3) in there though. It helps bots that do surveys count your server as a Qmail Toaster (which helps all of us).

There are various pages on the web about testing auth with telnet. If we don't have it on the wiki yet, google for it, learn it, then add it to the wiki. TLS is particularly tricky because you need to encode what you send. There's a web site that'll do the encoding for you though, and you can simply cut'n'paste it.

Maxwell Smart wrote:
Eric,

The wiki doesn't explain authentication.

maxw...@nicolette:~> telnet mail.yother.com 587
Trying 64.168.70.133...
Connected to mail.yother.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 Welcome to the Machine ESMTP
HELO ME
250 Welcome to the Machine
MAIL FROM c...@yother.com
503 AUTH first (#5.5.1)

What goes here?

CJ

Eric Shubert wrote:
You don't have to have telnet on the server. It's a client app. You can
# telnet <mailhost> 25
to any email transport server, so long as there is connectivity.

(Perhaps you're thinking of ssh??)

Maxwell Smart wrote:
I know how to use telnet, but I don't activate it on my servers because it's insecure. I'll take a look at it later. It's not that pressing since it's only on my wifes machine! :)

Jake Vickers wrote:
Philip wrote:
Maxwell
try testing the authentification with a telnet session
from your windows box, if that works you can pin point the issue to your mail client

if you dont know how to test it via telnet
use this nice tut :
http://qmail.jms1.net/test-auth.shtml

There is a more boiled-down one on the wiki:
http://wiki.qmailtoaster.com/index.php/How_to_use_telnet_for_diagnostics