-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:n...@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Eric Shubert
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:30 AM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: [qmailtoaster] Re: Connection refused port 25 spamhaus blockage

Glen Vickers wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that this IP wasn't used before as it's a static IP for a
> company where I'm at.  As for the client config, I'll have to try that
> tomorrow probably. I forgot to change my firewall rules to allow that port
> through last night. And I believe I have spamdyke installed already.  I'll
> have to check that to be sure but if it is, is there a way to whitelist
the
> IP I'm on?

Yes (/etc/spamdyke/whitelist_ip file), but you shouldn't need to.
Spamdyke bypasses all filters for authenticated sessions.

> The only other thing I can think of is that our filters here at the office
> block my house IP.

You might need to have the office open up port 587. If you're using
spamdyke that shouldn't be necessary though.

Hello,

K so I found that if I connected anywhere but here, I could get into my
SMTP.  So I made an exception on my firewall and NAT'd 587 to my server,
configured the client to send through that port, took it back to where it
wasn't working and I am now able to send email.  Interesting that I would be
blocked here but oh well.

This did create a question though.  Could I essentially block port 25 on my
server so I don't get random requests on that port and continue to user the
more "secure" 587 port?  I wouldn't think anything but an outside client
would need 25 if the port on the localhost is open.  So essentially
squirrelmail would work fine but if an external person wanted to send email
through my server (and had permission/an account) I could have them
configure 587 for them rather than 25 and just block out that standard
port.... would that be feasible?  I'm not sure if qmail needs it for any
other reason other than outgoing for external clients.

Glen V.