-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:n...@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Eric Shubert
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2009 5:41 PM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: [qmailtoaster] Re: Connection refused port 25 spamhaus blockage

Glen Vickers wrote:
> [...]
I'll
>> have to check that to be sure but if it is, is there a way to whitelist
> the
>> IP I'm on?
>
> Yes (/etc/spamdyke/whitelist_ip file), but you shouldn't need to.
> Spamdyke bypasses all filters for authenticated sessions.
>
>> The only other thing I can think of is that our filters here at the
office
>> block my house IP.
>
> You might need to have the office open up port 587. If you're using
> spamdyke that shouldn't be necessary though.
>

> Hello,
>
> K so I found that if I connected anywhere but here, I could get into my
> SMTP.  So I made an exception on my firewall and NAT'd 587 to my server,
> configured the client to send through that port, took it back to where it
> wasn't working and I am now able to send email.  Interesting that I would
be
> blocked here but oh well.
>
> This did create a question though.  Could I essentially block port 25 on
my
> server so I don't get random requests on that port and continue to user
the
> more "secure" 587 port?  I wouldn't think anything but an outside client
> would need 25 if the port on the localhost is open.  So essentially
> squirrelmail would work fine but if an external person wanted to send
email
> through my server (and had permission/an account) I could have them
> configure 587 for them rather than 25 and just block out that standard
> port.... would that be feasible?  I'm not sure if qmail needs it for any
> other reason other than outgoing for external clients.
>
> Glen V.

Email from external domains comes to your domain(s) via port 25. If
you're only doing intra-domain email, then yes, you could block port 25.
I sorta doubt that's what you want though. ;)

You never know, maybe I wanna block out the world and just talk to myself
since that's all the emails that are on there are mine :D  Horrah for
private servers... best way to talk to yourself and make it look important
:D

Glen V.