On 11/23/2011 04:40 PM, Casey wrote:
On 11/23/11 3:03 PM, Eric Shubert wrote:
I'm a little surprised nobody has chimed in on this, so I'll go ahead.

First off, spamdyke indeed appears to be working well for you. A bit
better than I would have expected even, but that's only based on a
hunch (I've yet to run stats on my servers).

The problem you face with the SA bayes database is that it's global,
and what's spam to one customer might not be spam to another. My
thinking is that using a user feedback mechanism to update bayes is
not going to work well in multi-domain environments. Note, I do
implement this sort of thing on QMT hosts that have single or few
domains however.
That is a good point. So would you recommend that I can bayes altogether?

No. I'd still let it autolearn. I wouldn't bother with a feedback mechanism from users though.

I think your best approach will be to gather feedback from your
complaining users, and look at each instance individually.
Agreed. I guess it would be nice if I had an easier way to get my
customers to send me copies of the mail in question...I typically either
have them send a snippet of the message headers, or forward the message
as an attachment - however this doesn't always work, as more times than
not they will simply forward the message, and then I lose the headers I
need to look at. Times like that I really like the ones that are able to
follow directions :-)

Right. Sorry I can't help you there. ;)

Examine what the SA score is presently on such items. The QMT stock
values for SA are a bit loose, so tightening them down a bit will
probably help. Personally, I use spam-hits=5.1 in simcontrol (rejects
emails above this), and required_score 3.7 in the SA local.cf file,
which is the score above which messages are tagged. YMMV, as I do use
a tailored bayes db for scoring.

Then have your users set up mail filters to put spam in a Junk folder,
to get it out of their inbox. This will make a big impact on their
perception of how much spam they receive.
That would be great....if I knew that they'd all follow through and do
that. Its definitely worth educating them on how to do so, but can you
think of a way with (KISS in mind) that I could do this from my end? On
other systems I've used procmail in the past to drop the spam into a
specific folder, but it seems like there has got to be a few different
ways to do it.

See the spambox option in QMT. (I'd forgotten about this)
IIRC, you need to rebuild qmailadmin to get that feature.