On 4/2/2015 5:20 PM, Dave M wrote:
This should make you smile

I have just this minute finished an install of Centos7 to prepare for the qmail-toaster install.

After the first update , and reboot, I logged in via ssh

Up pops the security message:

*There were 249 failed login attempts since the last successful login.*

Thankfully the default firewall took care of them

Just be careful doing installs with live external IP, and disabling the firewall until you are done

Made me laugh : )

Just a tip --

Instead of leaving your SSH port open, put a connection limit on it:

The following entries are from an iptables config file:

-A INPUT -p tcp --dport   22 -m limit --limit 2/minute  -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp --dport   22 -j DROP

You can fail your login attempt twice per minute, then you're dropped for the remainder of the minute. In most cases, they fail the login twice in like a 10-second period, fail a few more times (with unsuccessful connections this time) and finally quit -- blissfully unaware that they could try 2 more times in 60 seconds.

The point is, if you're just fat-fingering your SSH password, no worries - wait 60 seconds.... But if you're trying a brute-force attack, good luck -- instead of hundreds of tries per minute, you now get just 2...

Needless to say, you can adjust to your own recipe...

Dan McAllister
IT4SOHO

--
IT4SOHO, LLC