Third tip: run openVPN on your server and disallow public access to all non VPN
IPs to
all ports and open only those to public you really need. Keep OpenVPN updated
to avoid stuff like the past heart bleed attack and rotate certificates.
Connect to VPN to access all "privileged" ports that are only available through
VPN.

Cheers,
Sebastian