Quoting Ken Hohhof ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> > Why would netscape 4 for Mac choke and not other versions? I think you
> > may be chasing a strawman there.
>
> AFAIK all versions of Netscape 4 have the problem that if AUTH is offerred,
> the client must be configured to authenticate.  The only reason I mentioned
> Macs is that Netscape 4 is the most common mail client on Mac OS/8 and
> OS/9.  Many Mac users hate Microsoft so much they won't use OE.  Now
> with OS/X, Apple has its own mail client which was pretty spartan in version
> 1.1 but is more full-featured in version 1.2.
>
> Regarding dictating to a customer base that they must use SMTP AUTH,
> you must have a captive customer base.  If we turned that on one day we
> would get thousands of angry tech support calls and a sizable percentage

but you CAN demand it for remote customers.  Eg. if you're coming
from one of my IP addresses, I can allow you through.  If you're coming
from "the net", you don't relay without it.

> would switch to another ISP if only out of spite.  When you're in a
> commodity
> service business, and all your customers think they know what
> they're doing even if they don't, and they think it's always your
> fault even though it usually isn't, then we can't take the attitude
> "what, are you too stupid to check a box and fill in your username
> and password?"

Switching ISP's is less an option as the festival of small ISPs is
pretty much gone.

And you can approach is as a security thing.  As long as you have
an infrastrcture to manage it (https web page to allow password
changes and passwords that aren't the "main" one).

You can take the attitude that: "once you configure your system,
it's automatic" and you can watch logs for a couple months to see
who is *not* using it and offer them help.