On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 11:43 -0500, Alan Brown wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
>
> > I "solve" 2 by running antivir on the mail server. This quarantines
> > mail containing viruses, sends a message to the intended recipient to
> > say it has done so and a message to the sender,
> >                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> So you're one of the bastards with malconfigured scanners mailbombing me
> with virus warnings thanks to most worms using forged addresses. Gee,
> thanks. What makes you think it's much different to any other form of
> spam?

Unfortunately an increasing number of people are doing that, both for worm
e-mail and spam e-mail.  Even worse the practice has actually been
recommended in various PopTech media.  It's incredibly stupid because the
sender address on virtually all spam and most current worms is forged.
At the least, replying generates large numbers of bounced messages.  At
worst, it floods innocents' mailboxes with messages having nothing to do
with them.  In either case it creates a lot of unnecessary traffic.  It's
a really stupid thing to do!

--
Chip Old (Francis E. Old)             E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, BCPL Network Services        Phone:   410-887-6180