On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 09:19 -0500, Charley Morgan wrote:

> I am running Solaris 8 with Sendmail Switch 2.2(the commercial version
> of Sendmail).  I run procmail as the local mailer and am currently
> running ipop3d(the version that came with the Sun Internet Mail Server
> that was packaged with Solaris 7.)
> [snip]
> Anyway, back to the point, once qpopper was installed, customers
> began receiving messages that they had already received many months ago.
> It's not that the messages were never delivered, it's just that they
> appeared again.

I'm not familiar with ipop3d, but I suspect the problem is caused by
different UIDL schemes used by ipop3d and qpopper.  If so, your users'
POP3 clients saw everything as new mail, so downloaded it all over again.

That raises the issue of why your POP3 users' mailboxes still contained
mail many months old.  Do you allow them to leave mail on server even
after their POP3 clients have downloaded it?

> That is why I am thinking that the when my users checked their mail
> using our webmail server, which just retrieves messages using pop3, that
> somehow qpopper saw the messages on the webmail server as new messages
> and was somehow downloading them back to the server.  Even getting the
> messages that were in the users deleted items in webmail.  Does that
> sound possible?  I didn't think that pop3 could do anything like that
> though.

POP3 uploads mail from the server to client (your webmail is a POP3
client).  It isn't possible for POP3 to move mail from client to server.

--
Chip Old (Francis E. Old)             E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, BCPL Network Services        Phone:   410-887-6180