Hi all,

I've been having a problem with qpopper for quite a while now with
qpopper version 4.0.5 and SuSE linux 7.1 with kernel 2.4.21 (SMP two
processors).

The problem is that, from time to time, a users mailbox gets "locked" -
the .USERID.pop file is there and never goes away.  To fix the situation
I concatenate the .pop file contents to the end of the users mail file
(after the time delay between the mailbox locking and the user reporting
the problem there is normally more emails awaiting download in their
/var/mail/USERID file) and then I rename/delete the .USERID.pop file -
that fixes things for a while again.  I notice that this problem seems
to happen with users using Outlook 2000 (typical I know - I personally
use fetchmail to get my email into a local Linux box and have never
experienced this problem).

Still - should qpopper gracefully cleanup in the event of a email client
disconnection problem?

I am using qmail as the mail receiving agent.  qmail delivers mail into
the ~/Mailbox file have I have symbolic links to /var/mail/USERID files
so that qpopper can access the mail files.

I have used this configuration before with Solaris 8 and didn't have
these problems at all - I'm only seeing it now with the Linux setup
(although I may be running a newer version of qmail & qpopper now - I'm
not sure).

Does anyone know what steps I should take from here to try to locate
this problem?

Thanks very much for your help,

Derek

--