On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Derek Conniffe wrote:

> I agree with you on the performance side of it - you'd never even
> consider running apache out of inetd - I don't have the levels of
> traffic to worry about the [Linux] default 40 spawned processes / 60
> seconds.

With 70 active phone lines I had to crank up to about 400 thanks to a
few users continually popping every 10 seconds when they expected mail,
plus most had themselves set to check every minute regardless.

It only takes one clueless user to blow the default setting and cause a
5 minute mini-DoS for everyone else trying to get their mail.