For us, it was the nowait timeout.  Popper was dropping the user lockfile
and then hanging the Pop session.

I've increased the nowait from its default(100 I believe) to  nowait.400
This detects whether the pop client has disconnected or is failing to
respond.  More-so for if you have dial-up users or users with Outlook.

I didn't have to change the -T option(yet)  :-)   so far, we're seeing
positive results.