We have several people who POP their mail fairly frequently, but
they leave mail on the server.  These large files seem to be the
main thing impacting the performance of the mail server.  Qpopper
has no quota options as such, and some of the policy controls are
dependent on being sure how the client interacts with the serveer,
and I am not familiar with all the clients people use.
The OS (Solaris9) has quotas for disks, but with this being for mail
I'm presently unsure as to how that will impact on users.
So, I have reached the conclusion that the best thing I can do to
improve performance is to use the --enable-temp-drop-dir and point
it to a different partition from /var/spool/mail so that disk seeks
on both partitions may occur in parallel.  Does this sound like a
useful thing to do?  What if they are on different slices of the same
disk -- would that make things worse (further for the heads to seek)?

Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7    10525500 9733158  687087    94%    /export/home
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3    4030014  373130 3616584    10%    /var

Is there anything else I can do to qpopper that will help?

Getting users to change their behaviour is another story altogether,
of course :-)

        Hugh