At 5:16 PM +0000 3/9/06, Hugh Sasse wrote:

  > In addition to architectural considerations, you might want to try the
 HAPPYMAIL patch I developed to address the problem of changing user
  > behavior.

The patch looks useful.

The web page says it uses the [AUTH] response code. A quick glance at the patch shows it using either a [HAPPYMAIL] response code or no response code.

Were these choices deliberate?

RFC 2449 and 3206 specify that [AUTH] indicates a problem specifically with the user's credentials, and thus the client should prompt for a new password.

The [LOGIN-DELAY] response code is specified to inform the client that the login interval is too short. So, I'd suggest that the patch include the [LOGIN-DELAY] response code in its error message instead of [HAPPYMAIL] (which is non-standard) or no response code.

Also, I think it would be very friendly (and way cool) for the patch to include the LOGIN-DELAY response to the CAPA command. In authenticated state it can include the specific login-delay that will be enforced for the user.

You can also set the LOGIN-DELAY response to CAPA using the announce-login-delay option.
--
Randall Gellens
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------