Well thanks for the big thread, and useful comments.

  I took the conclusion that the syntax testing, in isolation, was
 generally viewed to be a bad idea and that it might actually make
 more sense to *remove* any occurances of "use ..constants" from
 existing plugins, so we could test elsewhere.

  BUT we started talking about testing again which is a good thing
  At least one person said they had a scheme in place for launching
 an instance of qpsmtpd with an auto-generated configuration file,
 allowing it to be tested live - and that is exactly the kind of
 test which would be useful for us to add.

  (Me?  If I want to test "live" I have to start a virtual machine
 and fire SMTP requests against it, and its static configuration.)

Steve
--
Managed Anti-Spam Service
http://mail-scanning.com/