On 2008-10-22 07:24:49 -0400, John Peacock wrote:
> Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> > I always found the rcpt_ok plugin in trunk/plugins rather useless for
> > two reasons:
> >
> > 1) it can only check for the recipient domain, not the local part. So it
> >    cannot reject mails to non-existent recipients. Accepting a mail and
> >    later sending a DSN is IMHO not acceptable behaviour for an MX.
> >
> > 2) It returns OK on success. That means that any later plugins in the rcpt
> >    hook will not be executed. But most plugins I only want to run after
> >    I have established that the recipient is indeed a valid, local
> >    adress.
>
> You have to remember that the origin of qpsmtpd is as a replacement for
> Qmail's
> smtpd.

Oh, I do remember that. When I started using qpsmtpd in 2003 I was still
running qmail on one host. One of the reasons why I looked into qpsmtpd
in the first place was that it promised to check recipients in the smtp
dialog so that mails to non-existent recipients could be rejected
instead of bounced. I soon found out that nobody had written such a
plugin yet and wrote my own (which evolved into aliases_check). rcpt_ok
was called check_relay at the time, btw, and I think the old name was
more descriptive.

But I didn't talk about whether rcpt_ok is compatible with qmail behaviour
or not. What I did talk about was whether it is generally useful. And
frankly, I think it isn't. Qmails behaviour of accepting everything and
bouncing later was dubious even in 1996, and became a real nuisance when
worms/viruses started to use random existing addresses as envelope
senders. I cannot think of any situation where one might want to use it.
On an MX, it can't be used. On an MSA, it does too much (strip it down
to only checking relay_client, and it's ok). On maildrops, internal
relays, etc. ... nope, can't think of any reason, either. So in my mind
it's there as a demo plugin with maybe some historical value, but it's
definitely not something anybody should try to be compatible with.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Openmoko has already embedded
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | voting system.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |  -- Ilja O. on [EMAIL PROTECTED]