Hey Bill!

On 25.03.2010 00:46, King Bill (Nokia-D-Qt/Brisbane) wrote:
> Bringing this over here as was requested ;)
> I was just criticized for criticizing the quality of creator ("on the
> basis of one bug report").

For reference: http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTCREATORBUG-807 is
the bug I think Bill is talking about.

> I thought we were an open company, part of that is being open to
> criticism when things are not working.

I really do not understand this critique:
  * We did investigate the issue
  * We evaluated the patch
  * We asked you to move this discussion from an internal list to a
public one.

So where exactly were we unresponsive or not open?

> Creator mainline is not working. I have reports both from internal and
> external users on a regular basis of either creator not building, or
> creator crashing upon startup.

Yes, there are issues with creator sometimes not building. Unfortunately
that can happen in a master branch.

> I have pushed the externals to submit
> bugreports,

This is great, thanks! Please push the internals as well.

> but, again, my experience here has been less than glowing.

We are trying hard to keep the response time low. From my experience as
an developer working on Qt creator my impression is that most bug
reports are looked at in less than a day. We do not always update the
reports, so this might not always be visible to you as the reporter. We
might be able to improve here, but that is a issue of priority: Do we
want to keep implementing new features or update the bugtracker?

> Being close to the front lines of the project, sometimes this can be missed.

We all use Qt Creator daily, so we tend to notice crashes and it not
building. That is why they do get fixed pretty fast (at least in my
experience).

> For qml usage, bleeding edge is the only choice currently, and the
> perceived quality of creator from the bleeding edgers is that
> creator's... not usable at all.

This does differ quite drastically from the experience we have here. I
am not saying that you are not having this trouble, just that I do
experience the quality of creator as very good overall.

So now we need to find out where our use cases differ and how we can
improve the issue for your workload. I am afraid the best way to do this
is by reporting bugs, which you unfortunately seem to not agree with. Do
you have a suggestion on how we can improve the situation for you (and
others in this thread) short-term?

> That is not the Qt way, and not a
> perception we should be having. Creator is an excellent product,

Thanks! Finally something we can agree upon;-)

> and one
> I use daily, and I'd like to go back to bleeding edge, as that's where
> all the cool new features are :)

I do understand your feelings and like the passion with which you are
fighting for a better creator!

--
Tobias Hunger
Software Engineer

Nokia gate5 GmbH
Firmensitz: Invalidenstr. 117, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Berlin: HRB 106443 B
Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnummer: DE 812 845 193
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Halbherr, Karim Tähtivuori