On Mar 25, 2010, at 12:46 AM, King Bill (Nokia-D-Qt/Brisbane) wrote:

> Bringing this over here as was requested ;)
>

> I was just criticized for criticizing the quality of creator ("on the
> basis of one bug report").
>
> I thought we were an open company, part of that is being open to
> criticism when things are not working.
>
> Creator mainline is not working. I have reports both from internal and
> external users on a regular basis of either creator not building, or
> creator crashing upon startup. I have pushed the externals to submit
> bugreports, but, again, my experience here has been less than glowing.
> Being close to the front lines of the project, sometimes this can be missed.
>
> To fix these issues, can we implement some sort of staging/CI system
> like we have for Qt?

Especially regarding Qt Creator's Qml support, a CI system for Qt Creator would
be mostly pointless.
Because most of the time when Qt Creator builds break in Qml support, it is
because of changes in Qt/QML that don't yet have corresponding changes in Qt
Creator.
We already have to handle the problem that "synchronized changes" in Qt and Qt
Creator first need the change in Qt/mainline, and only then the corresponding
change in Qt Creator can be pushed. That wouldn't get better with yet another
process in between for the Qt Creator changes.
Also the current CI system is barely able to handle Qt at the moment,
resources-wise (that will hopefully be mended, but takes time).

We have nighlty builds btw, and there is a (admittedly slow) progress ongoing
to move that to pulse, so we'll hopefully profit from the infrastructure there
in the longer run.

> For qml usage, bleeding edge is the only choice currently, and the
> perceived quality of creator from the bleeding edgers is that
> creator's... not usable at all. That is not the Qt way, and not a
> perception we should be having. Creator is an excellent product, and one
> I use daily, and I'd like to go back to bleeding edge, as that's where
> all the cool new features are :)
>
> --
> Bill King, Software Engineer
> Qt Development Frameworks, Nokia Pty Ltd
> Brisbane Office

Eike Ziller
Software Engineer
Nokia, Qt Development Frameworks

Nokia gate5 GmbH
Firmensitz: Invalidenstr. 117, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Berlin: HRB 106443 B
Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnummer: DE 812 845 193
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Halbherr, Karim Tähtivuori