As a thought... How troublesome would it be to have something like a
CREATOR_PRAGMA variable in the .pro file that directs these kinds of
things? qmake could simply ignore it, after all. This would allow some
settings -- like, for instance, shadow builds -- to be overridden by
the .pro file.

/s/ Adam