Without wanting to say anything on behalf of others, let me just give
my personal 2 cents.
We develop based on CMake projects with a group of people and with
shadow builds. Most of us use Qt Creator, this works quite well. The
only thing that is a hassle is the .user file and the settings
therein.

When we quickly want to hand over a project, we pack the root
directory of the source tree, i.e., the one that also holds the
CMakeLists.txt. Unfortunately, also the CMakeLists.txt.user file is
located here, and hence it gets distributed. This is a pain, because
the build-directory and run-working-directory could (so far) not be
defined relative to a user-defined location and/or an environment
variable. Fortunately, this has been fixed quickly after I reported
this (http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTCREATORBUG-2377), thanks
for that.

>From the discussion above, I have learned that we should just not
distribute the .user file.

>From my perspective, it would be preferable to have the build settings
and run settings removed from the .user file and store these in
separate files like you suggested, which then can be saved in the
source tree. I would suggest then that the .user file is stored in the
build directory, not in the source tree.

I will consider making patches if this is something that people would
like to have. However, I am not familiar with the internals of Qt
Creator so far, so it would take me a while and I'm not sure about the
quality...

Regards, Theo.