Elections always bring out the worst in candidates.  That's politics on both
sides.  Often called a smoke screen for more important agendas which are
rarely discussed until after any election.  Mudslinging has recently become an
artform in politics.
As any voters should realize that we are only shown the tip of the iceberg
and easy to debate.  I'm always concerned with what's hiding just beneath the
waterline.... or deeper.  Don't be affected by the smokescreens in politics.
Consider the histories of both parties and what they traditionally stand for or
have practice in the past.
Be a good voter.... Do your homework .... Then vote you own mind!