How is the language of the Texas Republican Platform attempting to "dismantle the ADA?"  If there is no protection for the specified groups in the ADA, how does amending the definition for the purpose of "reducing abuse of the Act" discredit the ADA?  Laws are often amended to clarify the intent, especially after someone tries to use a loophole in the law to gain an unintended advantage.

McAuliffe says, "The Texas Republican party is changing facts in a blatantly homophobic attack against gay and lesbian Americans." (from your 8/11/2004 quote)  Sure seems like he changed more facts in his statement than the TRP did in their platform.  McAuliffe is clearly trying to drum up gay and lesbian votes by mischaracterizing the wording of the platform.  I'm frankly sick of the term "homophobic" being used every time someone disagrees with the lifestyle.
By the way, the ADA already has some exclusions for transvestites, drug users, homosexuality and bisexuality.  Maybe the term "homosexual practices" in the Texas Repub. Platform is deemed more inclusive than "homosexuality and bisexuality."  But I still don't see anyone trying to dismantle the ADA by this language.

 SEC. 508. TRANSVESTITES.
    For the purposes of this Act, the term "disabled" or "disability" shall not
  apply to an individual solely because that individual is a transvestite.

SEC. 510. ILLEGAL USE OF DRUGS.
    (a) In General.--For purposes of this Act, the term "individual with a
  disability" does not include an individual who is currently engaging in the
  illegal use of drugs, when the covered entity acts on the basis of such use.
SEC. 511. DEFINITIONS.
    (a) Homosexuality and Bisexuality.--For purposes of the definition of
  "disability" in section 3(2), homosexuality and bisexuality are not
  impairments and as such are not disabilities under this Act.
    (b) Certain Conditions.--Under this Act, the term "disability" shall not
  include--
        (1) transvestism, transsexualism, pedophilia, exhibitionism, voyeurism,
      gender identity disorders not resulting from physical impairments, or
      other sexual behavior disorders;
        (2) compulsive gambling, kleptomania, or pyromania; or
        (3) psychoactive substance use disorders resulting from current illegal
      use of drugs.