Jim,
How do you feel about us killing cows and chickens to eat?  What about euthanizing dogs and cats at the pound to control the population?  Do rats and monkeys fall into the protected group?   How about killing flys and mosquitoes - they feed the larger animals you know.

In a related point - our Catholic priest said today birth control like condoms, creams and IUDs are a violation of God's natural law but family size can be regulated by practicing abstinence during times of fertility.  He didn't cover vasectomies or tubal ligations but I think those would be considered violations of natural law as well.

As long as 'God's natural law' is the topic, where do you think artificial resuscitation figures in?  If you blow somebody's lungs up a few times and he comes out of it is that different than breathing for him the rest of his life?  The lines get pretty fuzzy.
Dave
P.S. I believe in the natural law that the strongest survive and the rest are at their mercy.