Most overhead lifting devices have to be mounted in a reinforced  ceiling.
That is not always easy to do.
However there are a couple of manufacturers sold by SpinLife.com that sell,
surface mounted, overhead lift devices (24 volts) that have surface mounted
legs  that support the structure.  Not too pricey either.
Best Wishes

In a message dated 6/19/2007 4:45:12 P.M. Central Daylight Time,