Hi Danny,

You and I have been talking (around 2 years now?) about the chronic UTIs
that we both have
been plagued with.  But it seems like you have not had very good luck with
competent doctors.
*Neither have I* but I finally found out that "the culprit" were those very
big, big bladder stones
that had been sitting in growing in my bladder *for years and kept growing.*

Anyway, you said that you have had a bad UTI for a month now!  If it is
"bad" then I must assume
it has gone systemic and you have been running a fever with severe chills
for a whole month?
Something does not sound right.  Not to mention being extremely
dangerous!!!  In other words...

what the F***? have you or the doctors than waiting on/for?  After a whole
month... you just
got urine culture results today which only take three days (on the outside)?

Just before, and after, having my bladder stones removed a year ago this
past May...
the bug that came after me twice in 2 months was Pseudomonas.  It is one of
the worst ones and both times
I had to be treated with IV antibiotics via a PICC line at home.

Again, you and I have discussed these ongoing UTIs both on list and off
list.  There must
be some source, or culprit, causing your chronic infections.  Mine was
bladder stones
but it has to be a process of elimination kind of deal.  And only you know
your body best!

You already know that I have had repeated serious UTIs such as Pseudomonas.
Yes, it is very depressing not to mention life-threatening.  And going
through an entire month
... how in the world did you let it go that long if it WAS so BAD?  My
fevers that bad really quick
and I thought I would die before ibuprofen in some sort of antibiotic began
kicking in.

Then finding out that Pseudomonas has been growing in there the whole time?
I would
began to think that your urologist OR even your regular physician... sits
around reading
comic books rather than trying to help you!

As far as how many times one can use the IV drugs before the bug gets
resistant to them
it is really academic if you NEED them anyway.  My greatest fear with all my
troubles ALSO
was the fear that the bugs were growing more and more resistant.  After
all...
when you have to resort to IV antibiotics... that is scary enough!  There is
nothing left to resort to.
This is what leads me to think that your position does not give a rat's ass
about your well-being.
How you describe it... this is dead serious and something not to just brush
off again and again.

Also, like I have told you so many times... you might need to travel to get
a better urologist
and one really cares about your well-being!  This quack that you keep going
to has not
been very helpful... has he?  Therefore, because these things can get quite
serious...
you better get real proactive real fast.  If I sound like I am yelling at
you or preaching
to you... maybe it is because that I care more about you than your doctor
does!  Tough love
if you want to call it that. :-)

I was so upset when I got a Pseudomonas infection AFTER having my bladder
stones out
and my doctor was not happy either.  *I* finally found the answer on the
Internet.  To be brief...
I found out that by me eating a banana a day... that amount of potassium was
severely
altering the pH of my urine.  It was staying too alkaline (7.5 or more) when
it should be
much more acidic to keep the bugs away (ideally a pH of 6).

After I stopped eating bananas... wala!  I have not had an infection since!
Who would have
ever thought?  My doctor was unsure why we could not get my pH number lower
even by
taking cranberry capsules, drinking cranberry juice and other acidic juices.

She (my Urologist) was pretty impressed that I was able to find out the
information that I did.  My body
was not going to be able to take many more infections and the bugs were just
getting stronger
and stronger and that would ultimately lead to my demise.

That is the second time the Internet information has saved my life.

Anyway, Danny... please heed my advice to go get a damn new doctor!  Also,
have your
pH checked if you have not already.  If your urologist is competent, as well
as the
medical technicians who tested your urine, they should be able to provide
you
with what your last pH was during the culture.  Just call and ask because it
is usually part of the lab report.

If not... insist on finding out even if you have to give them a new specimen
and ask for that specifically.

Good luck buddy!

Lori Michaelson
C4/5 complete quad, 27 years post