EXACTLY!  It is possible to be friends with employees, as long as they remember
you are the boss.  I've had mostly longterm success stories (and only a couple
very short-lived disasters).

Its not unlike the balance a parent needs to find with their children.  Tough
love.  Trust, but verify.  Mutual respect is key.