I raised the sex question because when we discussed turning and positioning in
bed the thought occured to me that everyone does things differently, and we can
learn so much from each other.  I assume the same holds true for intimacy, and
I know we're always open to information and suggestions.  :)

 My interest in the subject is part personal curiousity and part professional
interest as I do quite a bit of mentoring in my job.

I have a million questions, but the first, and most basic, are:  how has SCI
affected your intimate relationships?  Do you have a sex life?  Do you [and
your partner] find it fulfilling?  How does your current lovelife compare with
before your injury?

[Keep in mind that your replies may be searchable through Google in the future,
so don't write anything you'd be embarrassed to have searched.]

I will answer my own questions to get the ball rolling:

I was injured at age 18 and had not been sexually active before my injury.  I
realized quickly after my injury [c5-6 complete] that I could get a physiogenic
erection [from touch] but not a psychogenic erection [from thought.]  I had
very reduced sensation in that area but the sensation I have is very nice.  It
took me many years post-injury to trust someone enough to get to the point of
intimacy, but during college one of my female caregivers slipped into bed with
me one night, removed my catheter and changed my life.  I never guessed that
with my reduced sensation I could climax, but I did.  Not only that, but even
with her doing all the 'work' I found that I could please my partner.  From
that moment on I felt I had regained a certain manliness that I thought was
gone forever.

I can't compare sex before and after SCI, but over the years I can say I've had
very fulfilling intimate relationships.

Don.