I was wondering if any of you have had to deal with lower extremity edema
whereby you can't even wear tennis shoes/sneakers or anything but sandals
that stay open and there is only a Velcro strap that allows the top of the
sandals to close or buckled straps to allow for the stretching/lower
extremity edema in my feet?

This began with me probably 3-4 years after I began to work and was in the
chair by 8 AM and did not lay down until 8 PM or 9 PM on weekdays.

But it has gotten much worse since then and then in 1998 I had to stop
wearing shoes or tennis shoes/sneakers and resort to what I spoke about
above.

The only thing that helps it is me laying flat with my feet straight up and
down against a pillow whereby my lower extremities are equal to my heart.
In other words, they go down overnight but not always.

Yes, I will wear compression stockings and did so before moving to Arizona
in the summer of 2001. I wore Jobst stockings for the first couple of years
after moving away from the humidity of the Northeast but I eventually did
not need them. When I moved back to the Northeast to be with family after
losing my husband my lower extremities became worse so I thought when I
moved back here they would get better but nope!

Yes, I tilt back my chair several times a day because that is all I have
time for and I am not up in my chair all that long anyway.

Now, I do not have any heart problems or anything. It is all because of
gravity.

I very much wish I could go back to wearing sneakers but even with my
compression stockings... my feet and ankles swell and I can't risk any skin
breakdown.

Best,

~Lori
C4/5 complete quad, 36 1/2 years post
Tucson Arizona

--
"Petting, scratching and cuddling a dog could be soothing to the mind and
heart and deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer." ~Dean