On 7/27/02 6:44 AM, "Brian Futrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 10:33:55 -0400
> Craig Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  When I look at a Quadra I
>> see the
>> $3000.00 mac I could not aford and lusted after for
>> years.

I agree.  Yesterday, I was thinking the same thing.  I have over 20 old Macs
and was feeling guilty about spending so much money on them (since its not
the old Mac that costs so much, but the peripherals, HD, RAM, etc).  But,
then I figured if that since I didn't pay the original price of a Quadra 10
years ago, I evens out in the end.  It's the difference between spending
$3000 on a new machine in the early 90s or spending about the same on a
bunch of old Macs to use for a hobby.

> When I see an older Mac, it gives me a chance to do
> something that I would like to do with my 9500, but don't
> want to due to the data I keep on it.
>
> As an example, I would like to try Linux on a Mac.  I have
> installed Red Hat 7.3 to a Wintel box, and have tried to
> install Yellow Dog to the 9500.  However, installing YDL to
> the 9500 keeps me from my email, financial information,
> etc. for several hours in the hope of getting a working PPC
> Linux install.  So far I have not had much luck with YDL.
> :<
>
> On the other hand, if I get a Quadra for $10 or so from a
> thrift store and get it running, if it sits for a few hours
> while I install (or try to install) Linux, it's not a big
> deal.  If I make the MacOS partition of the Quadra useless
> after the install, it's not a big deal.  My data isn't on
> it.
>
> I just see them as a chance to try things I normally
> wouldn't do.
>
> Brian Futrell

Brian,

I completely can relate.  But, I've gone too far.  I've gotten to the point
where I've bought Windows boxes and G3 boxes just to try Linux (and BeOS) to
protect data, and to ensure that I don't mess up the machines I use for
work.  However, I think I have a different appreciation of the Quadra. For
me, I just like to see what a Quadra can do, since back in 1990s, I was just
out of grad. School, broke, in debt, and needed a better job.  It's like I
can relive the past.

(The reason I don't mess with Linux on a Quadra is that I've had so much
trouble working with it on my vintage G3 and Windows boxes, so I figured I
could never get it to run on a Quadra, but maybe I should try it.)

Just wanted to share my experiences.

Paul