Hi.  I'm new to the Quadlist (and still a computer rookie), so I hope these
aren't really dumb questions.
I've already reviewed the FAQs and didn't find answers (but may have
overlooked something).

Awhile back I bought a Performa 630CD system at a yard sale (computer,
monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables and some software).  It worked
intermittently for several weeks, but soon died. The computer repairman I
took it to said it needs a new main board.

I also have a collection of software (from a dead IIcx) I'd still like to
use - and a new copy of Microsoft Office 4.2.1 (purchased on eBay for the
Performa before it died).

Would you recommend that I:
(a)  Get a replacement "main board" for the Performa (and try to install it
myself)?
      If so, where could I buy one?
(b)  Get another Performa, because I can be sure it will be compatible with
all the other
      hardware from the yard sale?
      If so, should I stay with a 630CD - or move up to something better?
(c)  Get a newer/more powerful Mac?
      If so, what's the newest, most powerful Mac and OS that would still
run the IIcx software and Office 4.2.1?
(d)  Give up on all this and starting all over again with a PC?
      If so, do you know of any yard sales this weekend?

Thanx!