Apple Specs:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/stats/mac_performa_636cd.html

I have the version without the CD -- the cost was like
$1300 back when it was bought!! (worth less than a
hundred now)  I had to do something.  But no one
cares, and _no_one_ will reply.  And I've said this
same thing before, and no one has replied.  I've got
_too_many_ problems with it (since it's about 10 years
old).  Can't boot on system 7.5.1 or higher!  It's the
only Mac I have, and the non-Mac I haven't seen for
more than a year now (sent it to HeLL ) >(
The limit for RAM is 36MB, which should be the same
for both of you guys!
The only screamer I see... IS ME.
The only reason why your PowerMacs would be going any
slower is that they're emulating 68k code (usually the
speed ratio is about 1:4 for a G3).  Get Fat binary or
PPC-native apps, and a PPC only Operating System -- OS
8.6, or somethin'.

>> Well I have one, and it's a screamer! It was kind
of >> funny, because I got
>> two identical looking computers at once, one was a
>> Performa 636CD as you
>> have, and the other was a Power Mac 6214, which
uses >> the exact same case and
>> hardware set-up. I worked with the PM first, which
I >> believe was running
>> system 8.1, and it ran fairly slow, as does the
>> 6200 I have had for years.
>> Then I plugged in the Performa 636CD, and was >>
absolutely wowed by the speed!
>> I was used to waiting for things to happen, but I
>> didn't have to wait with
>> this system! Then I remembered that when these
>> machines were first made,
>> they were considered awesome, and were >> very
expensive! I am sure, after all
>> the hype of the upgrade, first generation Power Mac
>> buyers must have been
>> disappointed with the performance of the
>> new machines compared to this zippy computer!

>> Anyway, I obviously love this model! I think you >>
will enjoy using it! If I
>> can help you with anything specific, please email
me >> privately, and I will
>> do whatever I can do. I can help you to upgrade to
>> system 7.5.3 (you should)
>> if you want to. Let me know. This is a great
>> computer for games and
>> education programs for young children too. >>
Congratulations!

>> Chuck

On 8/6/03 5:46 AM, "Scott Howe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>> Hi All,

>>> I just picked up a Performer 636CD and need some
info on this system. Any
>>> original documentation, spec sheets, owner
experiences with it, RAM upgrade
>>> possibilties, and some info on OS 7.5.1. I have no
experience with this
>>> machine and want to learn it inside and out. Any
help would be appreciated.