Tying the signal grounds together in an adapter is just fine, and should
cause no signal degradation. Other problems, like capacitance and impedance
change may be at fault, but grounds are not the problem. They are tied
together in the monitor, and in the computer. The length of traces in most
adapters is relatively short with respect to the wavelength of signal
frequencies, but stray capacitance can be a problem and improper trace
widths and failure to use a ground plane can cause impedance changes that
make for reflections.

If you make your own cable, it needs to have twisted pair wires of the exact
correct impedance. Existing monitor cables already have the correct
impedance, at least as well balanced as in the monitor use for a PC. (So if
it works on a PC, signal cable is already appropriate for the particular
monitor.) So either rewiring the existing cable or making an adapter would
probably make the best signal quality.

If someone has a schematic (pointer thereto) one could make an inexpensive
adapter by wiring across. Be sure to connect ALL the grounds on each side.
(And yes tying them together at the computer side is OK, especially if the
number of grounds differ. But also if you have identification of Red ground
to Red ground that is fine also, etc., for the color video signals, in that
case try to twist with video signal even for short distance of wiring
adaptor which should be kept to say 1" or less.) By the way, keep CASE
ground separate from SIGNAL ground, if that information is available--for
example the outer shield "D" shell is CASE ground and should only be tied to
CASE ground pins and shield, and a designated "drain" wire if used.

Can somebody help with schematics of adapters and cable wiring? (Has this
already been presented?)

-- Gordon Elliott