Philip Stortz wrote:

under the mac os, that's definitely true, under bsd and other flavors of linux however
don't think it is true.  the mac os is great, but it has a lot of overhead in order to
be
great, for file serving you can do better with a simpler/faster os.  you also might do
better on a IIfx, since it has i/0 processors and other enhancements which can speed
drive
access with some operating systems.

That certainly hasn't been my experience. You put the same drive and same 10/100 ethernet card in a Quadra 700 and use the same OS, say anything 7.1, 7.5.5, 7.6.1 doesn't matter. With either OT or classic networking the Quadra will smoke the IIfx in network throughput. The 040 Mac's were a big step up from the 030's. I don't know about Linux on the old Nubus 68k Mac's because I didn't know if you could use X with them. I will say That file transfers from my G4 1.25 GHz x2 to either my Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 8600/300 or my old Pentium 3 600 MHz running 10.0 Mandrake toast the file copy speeds I get from my G4 to my 9600/350 running AppleShare IP 6.3.3. The Linux boxes are running Netatalk. Can't figure out the NFS thing, wish I could. Another observation I have made is that a Quadra 950 running A/UX 3.1 with AppleShare Pro on top of that IS FAST on the network even with 10BaseT. That gives me the idea to install A/UX on a IIfx and see how it performs on the network then. Anybody know of any Nubus 10/100 cards that will work unders A/UX 3.1. The Asante's don't I know. I had some Farallon's which don't need any drivers. Problem with them is they only work at 10BaseT speeds. My switch only had the 10BaseT light lit. So then I eliminated the switch and tried a cross over cable with just two Quadra 650's using the Farallon 10/100 cards and got same poor performence. The file transfer speeds were EXACTLY the same as the built in AAUI ports with tranceivers. Anybody have any info on these Farallon Nubus 10/100 cards that I may be missing?

Chris Wood

Yes, the Asante 10/100 cards are going cheap on eBay. My only gripe is 10/100 cards in any Nubus Mac either 68k or PPC still get jack for network through-put. Any pci Mac including a even a 7200/75 with its onboard 10BaseT will smoke a Nubus Mac with a 10/100 card. At least thats always been my experience.

Chris Wood