----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Quadlist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 6:43 PM
Subject: Re: [q] 10/100

> Philip Stortz wrote:
>
> >under the mac os, that's definitely true, under bsd and other flavors of
linux however i
> >don't think it is true.  the mac os is great, but it has a lot of
overhead in order to be
> >great, for file serving you can do better with a simpler/faster os.  you
also might do
> >better on a IIfx, since it has i/0 processors and other enhancements
which can speed drive
> >access with some operating systems.
> >

> That certainly hasn't been my experience. You put the same drive and
> same 10/100 ethernet card in a Quadra 700 and use the same OS, say
> anything 7.1, 7.5.5, 7.6.1 doesn't matter. With either OT or classic
> networking the Quadra will smoke the IIfx in network throughput. The 040
> Mac's were a big step up from the 030's. I don't know about Linux on the
> old Nubus 68k Mac's because I didn't know if you could use X with them.
> I will say That file transfers from my G4  1.25 GHz x2 to either my
> Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 8600/300 or my old Pentium 3 600 MHz running 10.0
> Mandrake toast the file copy speeds I get from my G4  to my 9600/350
> running AppleShare IP 6.3.3. The Linux boxes are running Netatalk. Can't
> figure out the NFS thing, wish I could. Another observation I have made
> is that a Quadra 950 running A/UX 3.1 with AppleShare Pro on top of that
> IS FAST on the network even with 10BaseT. That gives me the idea to
> install A/UX on a IIfx and see how it performs on the network then.
> Anybody know of any Nubus 10/100 cards that will work unders A/UX 3.1.
> The Asante's don't I know. I had some Farallon's which don't need any
> drivers. Problem with them is they only work at 10BaseT speeds. My
> switch only had the 10BaseT light lit. So then I eliminated the switch
> and tried a cross over cable with just two Quadra 650's using the
> Farallon 10/100 cards and got same poor performence. The file transfer
> speeds were EXACTLY the same as the built in AAUI ports with
> tranceivers.  Anybody have any info on these Farallon Nubus 10/100 cards
> that I may be missing?
>
> Chris Wood

I do know my Q950 with the AWS95 PDS card and full 512K cache running A/UX
3.1 is very fast (compared to other 68k Macs) moving files using the nubus
NIC, does yours have the pds card or is it a stock 950?

I have a IIfx also just never tried A/UX on it, if you gets yours running
let me know how well it works.

So far I havnt been able to get my Mac OS running 68k macs to move more then
500KB/sec through any of the nubus network cards I have. Is 500KB/Sec about
what your getting?