On Wed, 22 Jun 2016, Paul Jakma wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016, Jafar Al-Gharaibeh wrote:

 For example, assume I want to push the new feature that I have been
 working on: MTR-OSPF (RFC4915). Having that in the CE (thing ;) ) for a
 few cycles might help us understand its impact on users or whether it is
 worthy to be added to the main release or not. I really think there is a
 value there.

Oh, there might well be value in having staging areas for experimental features.

Oh, in general though, this is a costly path to go down. It's much better to just get it reviewed and decided on. I.e. get it down the human review parts of the integration process:

   Contribution

  High level review---->push back

  Arch review---------->push back

   Implementation------>push back
    review

     master

High-level review being 'does this feature make sense in the abstract', and often being part and parcel of architectural review. Arch. review looking at how it should fit in with the existing code.

For features that will involve a lot of work, I *STRONGLY* suggest people come to the list *first* with a proposal and getting those reviewed and agreed to _before_ substantive coding work! Otherwise, do the implementation work _knowing_ that you may have to throw it away.

Not involving the community in design decisions, and just proceeding to implementation _does not_ give one a pass on community architectural review.

In general, stuff should just go through that process ASAP.

Stabilisation is something that should happen _after_ the above. (Testing / CI steps not shown above, but before imp. review presumably).

Course, people have to be willing to deal with review comments.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma | p...@jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune: