"...isn't anything only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for
it?"

Yes, but what governs what someone is prepared to pay for it?  Is it
what buyers are prepared to pay, or what sellers are asking for it?  I
guess it's more of a buyers market at the moment, but for something
like an Xtreme with a fairly good USP demand will probably not be too
dependent on whether the average asking price for a typical one is £5k
or £7k.  If you want one you want one, and you'll pay what the going
rate is SO LONG AS YOU DON'T SEE VALUES FALLING, and owners and buyers
alike value the cars by looking at what prices they are for sale at.
Please argue the point if you think I'm wrong.  The trouble is that by
chasing buyers by starting out asking less than everyone else for your
own car, not only does it force all the values down, it may also
(conversely) reduce demand as buyers see resale values are falling,
which in turn reduces values, and so on.  It seems a vicious cycle and
we don't want to get into that.

Falling secondhand values also reduce demand for new builds, since no
one want's to spend a fortune on building a car only to find the
average resale value after a few years of minimal use is half that.
So obviously it's in the interest of Quantum and quantum owners to
keep values up, and hence talk of agreed value schemes which might
support values a bit.

At the end of the day all kit cars are unique, and if you happen to
have the particular features someone wants then that's more likely to
determine whether it's your car they buy or the other chap's,
providing the buyers can see why your car might be a bit more or less
than someone elses.  Undercutting the competition ends up being bad
for all the current owners, but if you need to in order to sell in a
hurry then that's what you have to do.  It's when a new one comes on
for sale at what seems an artificially low price that I baulk because
the seller didn't even try to find out if it would sell at a higher
price.  I guess in the end values will find a level, I just hope it's
not too low.  Mine's on PH now by the way.  Decide for yourselves if
I'm asking too much.

Regards

Doug