Anything is only worth what you can get for it, but that depends on
how desparate you are to sell it.

The truth is that a Mk2 without MoT is going to have to be pretty
special to make more than £300 - 400, and a 2+2 £600 - 700. With MoT
and tax, you could say the same cars would be £700 - 800 and £1000
-1500. I've bought three and sold one in the last year. (Don't ask..!)

The above are governed, largely, by the alternatives on the wider
market. Mx5s, MGFs, MR2s, XR2s, etc. etc. and the number of people
with a non-runner kit car in the garage that they have lost interest
in. Often that they bought second hand and didn't build.

Now, the problem for most of us is that, having spent hours and money
on our cars, their open market value is such that we won't get it back
if we sell them. Which is why most of the best cars aren't for sale. I
guess that's a fact of life.

But it leaves the problem that, if your car gets written off, the only
way to replace it is to buy a less special one and do lots of work to
it to get it to the same standard. Which is why we need agreed value
insurance. to cover the work involved. And particularly if it's
someone else's fault - when you would be really annoyed to be offered
the sort of money above for your immaculate 2+2 turbo 4wd nitrous
injection with electric hood, kangaroo leather interior and diamond
jewelled instruments, etc. (Don't tell me someone has one..!)

The other problem is that, having built the ultimate car, it's not
possible to sell it on to finance the next project. Or persuade other
stakeholders in the household that you aren't just throwing good money
after bad every month.

So, ultimately, we all have an interest in improving the profile of
these cars in the wider world. When rusty heaps of MGBs with
agricultural engines and suspension are £2K+ and Mk1 Escorts start at
£4K for a 1.1 4-door, there has to be scope for our chosen vehicles to
be worth more, if only the wider market appreciated them. It's not
just Quantums - look at early GTMs, Mini Marcos, Ginettas, Novas, etc.
They all have the same problem.

I don't know the answer, but, as a relative newby to the scene, it
seems to me that there is scope for a gentle but effective publicity
campaign to bring the attention of the wider enthusiast market to our
area. There's both the Classic area, that must be getting bored with
the same old cars by now, and seems to be getting more into
modifications, which we do lots of, and there's the Top Gear market,
that must be getting bored with looking at unaffordable, uninsurable
supercars, whilst driving korean superminis on HP, with 4-figure
insurance premiums.

More interest = more buyers = better values for our cars?

There, I've thrown a brick into the pond. What do you think?

Dave.