Does this still happen if you create a new user?

Do the people who run into this use virtual macros? Note that some are
installed with the system, so it might not be entirely clear when you're using
them.

It sounds like this occurs with any file, so it may be something that a
particular plugin or patch causes the AppKit autosaving system to get wedged
the first time, and then all subsequent saving is hosed.

There has been one report of this (16011310) and it was looked into in February
but it wasn't clear it was this widespread. Any new information will be helpful
to get this fixed.