On Sunday, February 4, 2018 at 6:00:15 PM UTC+1, Ivan Mitev wrote:
> > Also it seems like some functions "might (maybe)" work as intended, for
> > example I can copy files between VM's and Win7, on a Win7 that was
> > installed on Qubes 3.2., but backup restored on Qubes 4. Others seem like
> > they can do this too. Also it seems it's a common problem not to be
> > internet in the restored Q3.2-Win7, perhaps the code is different in
> > regards to how it ties networking with Qubes 4? I have no idea about the
> > rest of the mechanics from a users perspective though, and most certainly
> > not as a developer as I unfortunately don't have such skills, I wish I
> > could help more.
>
> I just spent a bit of time restoring my windows VM from 3.2, here are a
> few notes that might be helpful to work around some bugs that you're
> probably hitting too (I haven't filed any issues yet):
>
> - PVH/HVM: in the VM's settings gui, PVH is always displayed whatever
> the real pref value. -> use qvm-prefs vmname virt_mode to make sure
> you're really in HVM mode.
>
> - Networking: the PV network adapter was stuck at "Identifying" ;
> pinging an *ip* works but ping a host fails. tcpdump on sys-firewall
> shows that the requests were sent to the gateway's ip and were rejected.
> The reason seems to be that in R4.0 VMs are now using the exposed
> "/qubes-{primary,secondary}-dns" values, while in R3.2 the DNS server
> was the same as "/qubes-gateway" (see [1]). In my setup,
> "/qubes-{primary,secondary}-dns" are 10.139.1.{1,2} and /qubes-gateway
> is 10.137.0.6. DNS requests are rejected because they're sent to
> 10.137.0.6 instead of 10.139.1.{1,2}
>
> workaround 1-> manually set the DNS servers to
> /qubes-{primary,secondary}-dns ips. Ping and Internet Explorer worked,
> but the PV adapter was still suck at "identifying" and my Amazon Kindle
> for PC app complained about finding no network (it seems there's a
> windows "connectivity" API/flag that some apps use). However you will
> have to do this each time after boot since Qubes tools will reset the
> network settings.
>
> workaround 2-> in Program Files/Invisible.../Qubes.../bin/..., rename
> network-setup.exe to network-setup.exe.bkp to prevent Qubes tools from
> messing with your network settings, and manually set the VM's IP and DNS
> servers in the PV adapter network setting. Everything should then work
> OK, the only problem being that you'll have to make sure you keep your
> network settings synced (esp. the IP when you clone the VM).
>
> - Copying to/from the Win VM: works perfectly - you just have to type
> twice the destination VM (once in Windows, once in Qubes/dom0), since
> Qubes Tools aren't updated to reflect R4.0 new "way".
>

> note: before finding what was causing the connectivity problem I tried
> to update xen's windows PV drivers [2] but it broke the VM (ie. it
> wasn't starting anymore) so I had to restore it again. Anyway IIRC R3.2
> Qubes Tool's drivers were at the same version as Xen's (8.2), so no need
> to fiddle with this.

> [...]

@Evan
Thanks Evan! This really looks promising, I will go and try it out tomorrow if
I can scrap some free-time to try it out. I'll post here the moment I've tried
it, hopefully I can get the internet working.

It's also very ensuring to hear that it's safe to copy files between Win7 and
other VM's. I was a bit stressed out over this one due to worry of bit-rot.

I'll get back to you when I've tried this out, thanks!