On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 8:13:42 PM UTC-5, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
wrote:
> For anyone interested, here is instruction how to setup build
> environment:
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-builder-windows/
>
> I know Rafał "Omeg" used Visual Studio for development, but I have no
> idea if anything special was needed there. I see vs2012, vs2013, vs2015
> etc directories in relevant repositories.

Hi Marek,

If you have time...

Just FYI, the instructions you linked to above no longer work. I say this based
on more than several hours of trying to figure out how to build the tools. I
get all the way, without errors or warnings, to the last step, which is `make
qubes`. That step throws an error about rpm not being installed: "No rule to
make target 'please.install.rpm.and.try.again', needed by 'check.rpm'. Stop."

Granted, I think the reason is that in addition to the documented step of
copying windows-tools.conf to builder.conf, there are probably some other
configuration changes (not listed) to make the windows build environment
work...but I don't know what they are.

Using a new stable, up to date Win7 HVM install on Qubes R4, I followed the
instructions without problems using the following variations to resolve some
issues:
- changing to a user account without spaces in it for better mingw32 pathname
resolution.
- hosting qubes-builder directory initially in the user download directory as
well as later in C:\DEV
- installing free VS2013 community release in either the standard location
[hybrid of C:\program files and C:\program files (x86)] as well as in c:\vs2013
-- as documented, copying windows-tool.conf to builder.conf

Lastly, while trying to figure out what the gap is in the instructions that
lead to "make qubes", the last line, failing I tried:
-- copying in all of the various files from that repository into the
qubes-builder directory (no filename conflicts, basically a folder tree merge),
and attemping to swap makefiles, etc.
-- looking for conflicting pathnames to VS2013 in the qubes files, etc. and
fixing them to match my current environment.

What obvious thing am I missing?

Thanks,
Brendan