This is some months old news now from November 2017, and may already be in the
plans to fix, however, I'm putting this forward as I'm not aware of any
existing discussions on the matter, this is only an insurance so that we're not
caught un-prepared for Intel's frustrating lock-in move. I apologize if it's
already being discussed internally. Nonetheless, that being the case, this post
can also serve as a heads-up to others in the community to be prepared for a
new extra hardware issue angle.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/intel-were-ending-all-legacy-bios-support-by-2020/

Articles like these, seem to point towards that Intel is making a move to
remove LegacyBIOS completely. This by all appearances appear like it could
become a major headache for many Qubes users on new hardware in the near-term
future, considering some Intel devices are already taking this step to be ready
by 2020 already now.

Ignoring the otherwise important issue of the locked hardware/software blobs
for a moment. Not solving this boot issue on time soon, seems like it might
cause a big problem for many, many existing and new Qubes users getting new
expensive hardware, if something isn't done to prevent or minimize it.

Hardware compatibility is already an issue, Intel's move here just seems to
make it worse.

What can be done to solve this? Qubes/Xen would need better UEFI support? If
answers have been found, is it something that possibly can be shared with us to
ease the coming worries a bit?