On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 4:52:47 PM UTC+1, awokd wrote:
> On Fri, March 16, 2018 2:50 pm, taii...@gmx.com wrote:
>
> > As always I suggest encouraging the xen developers to accept help (from
> > raptor and IBM) to port xen to POWER
>
> When I felt them out on it, I got the impression they were welcoming help
> from anybody on porting Xen to POWER.
> https://www.mail-archive.com/xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org/msg08625.html
>
> Everyone's too busy now, but is there a long-term/blue-sky vision of Qubes
> on non-x86 architectures, whether ARM, POWER or some other? Is that where
> Qubes Air comes in? Staying true to the concept of isolating data from
> exploited hardware seems to only be getting more difficult on x86. I've
> read through some of the discussions on here about ARM, but (open)POWER
> products are still pretty new.
>
> From Qubes' perspective, which arch. would make the most sense to pursue
> long-term?

Another futuristic perspective to think about in addition, is whether Qubes OS
one day can function on the architectures of smartphones. For example, it might
not be so much 're-inventing the wheel' work to get i.e. android working which
already has all the needed phone software build into it, making it easier to
get started. (And android can already boot in Qubes VM's). It would also be
easy to switch the phone software, kind of like it's easy to switch the
hyper-visor or templates in Qubes, so the concept isn't very foreign to what
Qubes is already doing on pc hardware. It'd be quite interesting if it was
possible to have something like a QubesPhone, or whatever it would be called. I
do by no means have the right insight, but I imagine the biggest hurdles would
be the hyper-visor architecture support on smartphone hardware, passing the
second CPU chip (essentially the unwanted but forced spyware blobs) tunneled
securely to the android AppVM, as well as building Qubes tools to function with
touch-screen, etc.

For example, the unwanted spyware second cpu blobs could be put in the phones
equivalent to pc's sys-net, befind a sys-firewall.

By all appearances we're moving towards an age where laptops one day not too
far into the future will stop to exist altogether in favor of smartphone acting
as a laptop, and instead connect to a bigger screen/keyboard/mouse with the
smartphone. It'd be extremely interesting if this would one day be possible to
do with Qubes.

Smartphones are catching up too, at some point soon normal user wouldn't need
all that computing power that can be put into phones, and for some users that's
already the case already now.

Qubes OS also seems more immune to failure here unlike Oracles Ubuntu phone
failure, and the many others out there that failed. I mean, if small work can
be done here and there, some day we might not need much to start installing
Qubes on smartphones. Having the ability to shutoff microphone/camera/gps when
not used is also extremely ideal, at the very least pulling it from android
when not used (the second cpu spyware chip might be harder to block though).

@tai...@gmx.com
I can work with that, I'll call it BIOS instead on-wards.