> If your Tor is running in another appVM, such as whonix-gw does, the worst
> a sys-net compromise could do is redirect the *encrypted* Tor traffic from
> whonix-gw, which isn't terribly useful for the attacker.

Oh, I should mention, as you asked in your original question, that yes, a
compromised sys-net could absolutely and trivially reveal your IP,
regardless of whether Tor is running in sys-net or another AppVM.

All the attacker has to do is fling a single packet to their server
(bypassing Tor), and they have your address.  "ping" would do the trick.

But if Tor is in a separate AppVM, any data going into sys-net is
triply-encrypted, and the content is safe from an attacker who has
compromised sys-net.  (If Tor is running in sys-net, the traffic coming in
from the VM isn't Tor-encrypted, obviously, and far more visible, HTTPS
notwithstanding.)

JJ