On 11/25/16 23:26, zxe...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Have you changed the devices assigned to sys-usb? If so, it's possible
>> you're running into a pci_strictreset issue here? Try running this in dom0
>> (but before you do, make sure you understand the risks [1]):
>>
>> $ qvm-prefs -s sys-usb pci_strictreset false
>>
>> Then try starting sys-usb again:
>>
>> $ qvm-start sys-usb
>>
>> Let us know if there are any useful error messages.
> I ran both and got:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/bin/qvm-start", line 136, in <module>
>      main()
>    File "/usr/bin/qvm-start", line 120 in main
>       xid = vm.start(verbose=options.verbose,
> preparing_dvm=options.preparing_dvm, start_guid=not options.noguid,
> notify_function=tray_notify_generic if options.tray else None)
>    File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubes/modules/005QubesNetVm.py",
> line 122 in start
>       xid=super(QubesNetVm, self),start(**kwargs)
>    File "/user/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubes/moduels/000QubesVm.py",
> line 1958, in start nd.detach()
>    File "/usr/lib64lpython2.7/site-packages/libvert.py", line 5249, in detach
>       in ret == -1: raise libvertError ('verNodeDevicesDetach() failed')
> libvert.libvertError: Requested operation is not valid: PCI device
> 0000:00:10.0 is in use by driver xenlight, domain sys-net
> (Note I typed this, so there may be errors in the transcription)

Thanks. For future reference, you can copy text out of dom0 like this:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/copy-from-dom0/#copying-from-dom0

> If I shutdown the sys-net VM then sys-usb boots. Of course this also means
> that sys-net fails to boot with the same error message. Now when I attach a
> flash drive it automatically connects to sys-usb, instead of sys-net. How do
> I stop sys-net from trying to request driver access? As long as sys-usb is
> active, I am not able to boot any other VM. Everything fails silently.
>
>> Did you mean "sys-usb" instead of "sys-net"? (If not, the description you've
>> provided of your overall setup is inconsistent. Please clarify it.)
>
> I did mean sys-net. When the sys-usb VM is not booted and I have attach a usb
> flash drive, I get a notification in the upper right hand corner saying
> "Attached new device to sys-net /dev/sda". If I exit all VM's and boot the
> sys-usb VM then it attaches to the sys-usb VM.

Ah, it sounds like you have your USB controller assigned to both sys-net and
sys-usb. In retrospect, this makes sense, since you described manually creating
a USB qube even after the installer manually created one for you.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to achieve, but my recommendation would
be to assign your USB controller to only one qube. Let's suppose you want it
assigned to sys-usb. (This assumes that you're not using a USB Wi-Fi device, in
which case you'll want to have a single sys-net that also functions as a USB
qube, rather than having separate sys-net and sys-usb qubes.)

1. Shut down sys-net. (This will probably require shutting down most of your
other VMs first.)
2. In Qubes Manager, right click on sys-net, then click "VM settings." Then,
click the "Devices" tab.
3. On the right-hand side, select your USB controller(s), then click the "<"
button, leaving only your network devices.
4. Reboot the whole system.

You should no longer run into the problem you described above.

> qvm-block -l gives:
> sys-usb:sda Flash_Dis () 7 GiB
> sys-usb:sda1 Flash_Disk (CHINA) 7 GiB.
>
> I was mounting wrong... "sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable/" works
> (sda1 not sda). However, the folder is empty. I checked on my other laptop
> and the flash drive is neither empty nor broken.

/mnt/removable is empty? Are you sure anything is actually mounted there?

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org