Actually I was able to get it to work.   After many failed attempts I did use
UEFI mode to do installation and then I did do those instructions for "no
bootable device" you show. I didn't try babels instructions.  After I did that
it booted right up.  And it's been working ok even after an update to dom0,
even though it said after kernel updates you have to do it again.   I was
noticing a weird issue where a browser in a given domain would freeze and I
have to open another browser session to unfreeze it.

But one thing I did notice:  i tried using the minidisplayport connector
instead of hdmi and it would not boot.  If I switched back to hdmi it was fine.
 So I think one Bkm is to use HDMI ONLY for qubes.

-m