On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 11:36:41 PM UTC+1, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 07, 2018 at 12:45:58PM -0800, Roy Bernat wrote:

> > > You can use the `fstrim` command in the TemplateVM:
> > >
> > > $ sudo fstrim -v /
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > fstrim: /: the discard operation is not supported
>
> Strange, it should work. And on my system it works...
>
> Anything special in your configuration? Have you chosen non standard
> partitioning or such?
> Maybe you don't have LVM thin based storage? You can check that for the
> template using (adjust template name):
>
>     qvm-volume ls fedora-26
>
> The storage pool used will be in the first column, for example:
>
>     POOL:VOLUME                           VMNAME     VOLUME_NAME
> REVERT_POSSIBLE
>     linux-kernel:4.9.56-21                fedora-26  kernel       No
>     lvm:qubes_dom0/vm-fedora-26-private   fedora-26  private      No
>     lvm:qubes_dom0/vm-fedora-26-root      fedora-26  root         No
>     lvm:qubes_dom0/vm-fedora-26-volatile  fedora-26  volatile     No
>
> Here you see "lvm" pool.
>
> If you want, you can dig further: qvm-pool -i lvm
>
>     name          lvm
>     driver        lvm_thin
>     size          486585401344
>     thin_pool     pool00
>     usage         347665269260
>     volume_group  qubes_dom0
>
> - --
> Best Regards,
> Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
> Invisible Things Lab
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Out of curiosity I checked my own system too (I'm running LVM, not LVM Thin).

"
[user@fedora-26 ~]$ sudo fstrim -v /
fstrim: /: the discard operation is not supported
[user@fedora-26 ~]$
"

"
user@debian-8:~$ sudo fstrim -v /
fstrim: /: the discard operation is not supported
user@debian-8:~$
"

Dom0 was pretty much identical as the two examples above too.

Is LVM Thin the preferred FS-format on Qubes 4 over regular LVM?
Also, possibly this might be because I'm using LVM and not LVM Thin, but I get
python errors when I execute "qvm-pool -i lvm" in dom0. The command does not
exist in fedora-26 or debian-8 template. But I guess it must be a dom0 specific
command. Below is the python error from dom0.

[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-pool -i lvm
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/qvm-pool", line 5, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qubesadmin/tools/qvm_pool.py", line
146, in main
    args = parser.parse_args(args, app=app)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qubesadmin/tools/__init__.py", line
387, in parse_args
    action.parse_qubes_app(self, namespace)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qubesadmin/tools/__init__.py", line
312, in parse_qubes_app
    pools = [app.pools[name] for name in pool_names]
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qubesadmin/tools/__init__.py", line
312, in <listcomp>
    pools = [app.pools[name] for name in pool_names]
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qubesadmin/base.py", line 309, in
__getitem__
    raise KeyError(item)
KeyError: 'lvm'
[aki@dom0 ~]$

So I'm guessing the solution would possibly be to re-install it all, but
instead pick LVM-Thin as the FS-format? I'll gladly sign up to be up for being
a guinea-pig and re-install Qubes 4 on LVM-Thin instead of LVM, (additional
difference would be Qubes RC-2 fully updated to Qubes RC-4), to test it out if
it makes a difference. Or maybe use Qubes RC-2 again for accuracy if it
matters? Albeit I'm unsure if there is any value in such a test, and or whether
systemdata is needed from before/after re-install.