Hi thanks,

I edited
/var/lib/qubes/qubes.xml
and removed the lines with the names of the VMs I deleted by hand before,
and needed to kill qubes-manager and to restart it, so the file gets read
and parsed.

Now my system behaves like before.

But there should be a warning if one configures the private.img size bigger
than the disk array holding the /var/lib/qubes stuff.
So qubes-manager should summarize the space used by the private.img and
warn the user not to take more space then the disk array can provide.