On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 3:06:36 AM UTC+1, brenda...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 7:21:11 PM UTC-5, [799] wrote:
> > An 27. Feb. 2018, 00:59, Yuraeitha schrieb:
> > > It is by no means a complete guide as you
> > > make it sound though, it's relying overly much
> > > on closed code, and Chromium is no good
> > > here to look into Google Chrome. I wouldn't
> > > call it the "go to" guide to get everything
> > > working.
> >
> > Seriously? Do you know how much time it takes to write a how-to? To test all
> > steps and to use the feedback from other committed users to make it better?
> > And as mentioned the guide is written for a special use case, playing
> > multimedia on Qubes as I wanted an OS which I can use for everything I'm
> > using
> > a laptop for.
>
> Hey, just wanted to say: thanks for the guide, it's great. :)
>
> One of the strengths of Qubes is that you *can* divide your usage into
> compartments which have different compromises (both security-wise and
> philosophy-wise). A full-out "yes, we can Netflix and ... well, popcorn in
> this case" Qube and separately have a "open source intelligence research
> behind VPN and/or TOR" Qube or "develop sensitive open source application"
> Qube on the same machine, *and* worry less about cross contamination
> (security, software development ethics, identities, etc.) is just a big win.
>
> Again: thanks! I am already using your guide and I appreciate all the work
> you and others put into it.

> > > The fact that Firefox isn't even mentioned in
> > > that "between the lines self-proclaimed all
> > > solution page guide", makes me a bit sad and
> > > disappointed in Qubes. I hope this is a
> > > mistake.
> >
> > Honestly it was me writing this "self-proclaimed all solution page guide"
> > which took me lots of hours starting from the first version and following
> > the
> > excellent feedback from other users to improve it.
> > Maybe you should provide content instead of being sad that others try to
> > contribute to the Qubes project?
>
> Great idea! Maybe Yuraeitha can write up a "multimedia, most of it, with
> firefox" guide? I have seen Yuraeitha add useful information on other threads
> in this forum, appears to be very engaged and generally appears to mean well.
>
> > Do you know how motivating it feels if people comment on your work like
> > you're
> > doing?
>
> I hope I have at least added some positive balance. :)
>
> > If my how-to will convince one user to try out Qubes because he can even do
> > the "evil closed source" stuff, I am happy.
>
> :)
>
> Brendan

I think you add positive balance Brendan, I like that you try to see both
parties views and seek to make peace. Although I did overstep and caused a
provocation, when I could have criticized without it becoming emotional. Even
if I did not do it intentionally, it's still something I need to take
responsibility for.

To which I really apologize for [799], I hope we can still see eye to eye. By
the way, even if I criticized your how-to doc here, there are two things that
soften the perceived written criticism (quite a lot actually), which I want to
underline. First the work you did is really good, I like what you did. What I
criticized is only a lack of work into open alternatives, and not the work you
did, which is good (which the criticism here takes a whole different character
when criticizing an institution/culture rather than a single person). Adding a
section to the how-to with minimum a brief mention of privacy/open-source
concerns could be a good quick solution as a disclaimer, which would fend off
this criticism even if you don't add open source solutions. Second, I want to
admit that I make mistakes too (which is obvious, but the point here is that
I'm admitting to it, in fact I make a lot of mistakes). I'm not trying to
belittle, be arrogant or feel superior (I don't). It's just that my writing
style can be very straight forward and it can risk sounding harsh. Adding
on-top of that, I can be pretty darned merciless when it comes to challenging
authority, which is not how I act towards individual people. I believed in the
moment of the writing that what I challenged, did not have a face or emotions,
but instead was a system, an authority through institutionalization/culture.
But it turned out the wrath I put forward actually hit a person, which was not
my intention at all. Shaking things up can sometimes fix issues in
institutions, but it's not a good approach for individual people. I hope you
will forgive me for being rude towards you, I do feel bad about it...
Especially when as a person a mistake like this is very minor, while in
contrast it would be big mistake if it's an institutional error when a lot of
people are involved in it and no one criticizes it (which is where the big
words are needed to shake things up). I'm not trying to write my self out of a
mistake here, because I definitely and most certainly did a big mistake, and I
do feel bad about it.